Wednesday, December 23, 2009

holidays in New York!

Tomorrow night I will be singing along with Louis Armstrong’s “Christmas Night in Harlem”, because that’s where I’ll be!! My sister Ceciley and me, along with my friend handy-man Matt & his girlfriend are driving to NYC tomorrow to spend the holidays with these two darling children: Tomio & Julia.


Their mother Emi, is my best friend from college – we met in a Women’s Studies class at the University of Michigan in 1990 and have had many adventures together since. She is a born & bred Manhattanite, and I try to visit twice a year to spend time with the kids. I’ve watched these little babies grow up and at 9 years old Tomio is almost as tall as me!


I usually visit in the spring and fall, and the summer Julia was an infant I was there for almost a month, but we’ve never spent Christmas together and they don’t know I’m coming. I can’t wait to see their faces when I walk in the door!


I was just there in October and we had lots of silliness and pillow-fights. This is my job when I am there - having fun with my little goofballs!



So for Christmas I ordered them a vintage Chinese Checkers set on ebay (ahem), but I seriously need to look up the rules because I don’t remember how to play.


Tomio wants a baby brother for Christmas. That’s not in the cards but this was also on his wish list. I got him two of these, because I’m pretty sure I’m going to need to be able to defend myself once he opens it.


Julia wants to have a wedding and has decided that she will marry her cat Mackerel. I think this is an awesome and hilarious idea so of course I want to help.


Apparently she already has a dress! but she wants a few other things to have a “real” wedding, so I bought this for the cat:


and these for Julia:


I can’t wait to play wedding photographer at the “ceremony”!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...