Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Holiday Jam



A lovely friend invited me to go and see the Holiday Jam at the Phoenix with her last night. The line up was full of Canada's best "roots rockers" and they each sang 2 of their favourite songs. The night began with Gord Downie's atonal thing which really just makes me want to put my fingers in my ears (oh sacrilege I know!).



But you can't go wrong with Sarah Harmer, Kathleen Edwards, Jim Cuddy & The Skydiggers! Highlights were Sam Roberts (yum!) doing a version of Traveling Wilburys "Handle me with Care" with about 6 guys all playing acoustic guitars on stage. Then there was an acoustic version of "Bohemian Rhapsody" which the crowd sang all the lyrics to (and was way more in tune than good ol' Gord), and Dallas Green did some amazing soul songs. I always forget what a great voice he has.



The total standout of the night was a guy from Kingston who's name I didn't even hear. He did a number on the piano that gave me the shivers - in a good way - and I thought he blew everyone else out of the water. Seems no one has reviewed the show yet - I want to know who he is!

This quote from one of the performers kinda sums up the night - "there's enough plaid backstage to make Red Green cry" - oh Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...